Shimada: the green ci-tea (and Tokaido post town)

 29 Sept

Shimada

Mid 20s, overcast, humid, but also a cool breeze(!!) as shimada is near the coast.

I managed to track down some vinegar last night so, hopeful I've killed all or most of the mold and not done any damage to the structural integrity of my pack, only time will tell if this has worked (and hopefully bears aren't attracted to the smell of vinegar). The temperatures have definitely started to drop, with most days being mid 20s as opposed to high 20s/low 30s now but I really can't wait for the humidity to drop as well.

After a great hotel breakfast for only ¥550 I set out for a day of relaxed sightseeing.

Tokaido cobble road: there is a section of the old Tokaido road near kayana station. It is quite short but was a nice little walk to start the day off.

Makinohara tea terraces: I walk through the area and was able to see tea being picked (by a machine) and the plants being maintained.

Tea museum, Shizuoka: great museum about  Shizuoka tea and how it has shaped the area. There is also a garden and tea room. You can pay small fees to also do some hands on experiences like grinding matcha, or creating your own tea blend.


Oi river foreshore: nice river side path with all manner of sunday sports happening on the grassy fields.



Shimada city museum: museum (with no english) which tells the history of the post town and the oi river crossing (kawagoshi). People crossing the river would have to buy a ticket and then hire Kawagoshi-Ninsoku (river crossing workers) who would carry them across. 

The museum annex has a wood block art gallery and a folk display, which reminded me of a country town museum you'd find in a tiny outback Australian town - lots of 'old' stuff from the last 150 years that probably just came out of a hoarders shed.







A night wander



The next couple of walking days look like they are going to mostly be on roads and while they normally aren't the most exciting, they are generally easy walking, so hopefully I will be able to cover some decent km per day. (Hope I haven't just jinxed myself)


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Tokai Nature Trail Maps and Resources (Tōkai Shizen Hodō / 東海自然歩道)

TNT Day 53 - these final kilometers

A collection of collections