TNT Day 19 - road walking, mold and goodbyes

 28 Sept

Map 10 & 11: (tent) Ippukudokoro Takane view point -> nishimuki suspension bridge -> waraibotoke -> kamigochi -> ieyama station // bus to shimada (hotel)

Mid 20s, overcast

We set off at around 7 after packing up camp and having a quick breakfast. It felt quite strange after 3 weeks to have another person at camp both last night and this morning. it was also very refreshing having someone to talk about the trail and what we'd seen and the different approaches we had taken. While packing up I also discovered that some mold had started to appear on my bag, not surprising since it probably hasn't been properly dry in 3 weeks.

First stop was nishimuki suspension bridge which crosses above a road, not a river as the other bridges have. There is also a toilet with a bench, water and power points at on end.

Continuing along the trail we gained a little elevation to reach waraibotoke, the end of the ridge line were a buddah statue is apparently buried because it made people laugh but also made them sad - the guideboard explanation wasn't too clear about the reasoning.

We headed down ~2km of trail until we reached kamigochi, and then it was onto a road for 7.5km to ieyama station. Kamigochi has a large number of tea fields and the trail crosses through them between the switchback roads.

The road took us through some sleepy villages/housing clusters - there were a few pieces of interesting art and shrines but it was a pretty 'meh' bit off trail - having company and a conversation partner for the walk definately made it more enjoyable.

We finally rocked up to the 7-Eleven in Kawane-cho at 11, where I grab an early lunch and Liam resupplied for his next 2 day section to Harunoinui. 

Crossing the river, we walked through the streets until we reached ieyama station, where we would part ways - Liam was planning on smashing out another 10km today and I was going to head to shimada for a day to deal with the mold on my bag. Liam's approach to the trail is definitely more inline with a tradition thru hike, whereas I think I will refer to mine as an around hike.


Ieyama station is on the Ōigawa line, which besides local electric trains, has steam trains that run between kanaya and kawane onsen stations. Ieyama station leans into the steam train stuff heavily, with a train cigarette vending machine, lots of Thomas the tank engine posters and many pictures of the different steam locomotives that can be seen on the track.



I originally thought that they were just using Thomas the tank engine for marketing purposes until the 1pm train rocked up to the station. I wonder if they have the whole crew?

Because it is a privately run rail line it is a little more expensive than normal so instead I caught a local bus all the way to shimada station for just ¥300. I jumped off the bus a stop too early but it meant I got to see this guy at Daizen temple on my way to the hotel.

After scrubbing my backpack and a shower I went to do some exploring and a dinner run.

Oi shrine is a lovely tranquil shrine with a lovely garden and ample picnic areas to relax at. It is also where the shimada obi festival happens every 3 years - this festival is said to be one of the most unusual in Japan due to the sabre dance which takes place during the procession to the shrine. The next festival will happen in October 2025.



I have also fully emptied my bag to try and dry everything out as much as possible while I can, so my hotel room looks like a bomb went off.

13km (stepping off trail at noon)




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Tokai Nature Trail Maps and Resources (Tōkai Shizen Hodō / 東海自然歩道)

TNT Day 53 - these final kilometers

A collection of collections