TNT Day 6 - up, down, drink, repeat
11 Sept
Map 3 + 4: (hut) Azegamaru mountain hut -> Komotsurushi-yama -> Takazasu-yama -> Hirano, Yamanakako (hotel)
Mid 20s, clear then overcast with a breeze, still humid
This will be a quick post as I'm pretty knackered after today.
Sleep last night was not great as I hadn't realised how loud my sleeping mat was whenever I shifted, so I was trying not to move much which was uncomfortable and then on top of this the mountain workers snored and they also had the radio on all night. I assume the radio was on to hear any emergency/disaster broadcasts but maybe they just needed to here Adele's 'hello' to go to sleep.
I was out the door by 7 and on my way - I planned to get to Hirano today and the route had a guide time of just under 8 hrs on yamap, which meant I needed to get moving early and keep moving.
I got my first glimpse of Mt Fuji between Azegamaru and the northern junction. Unfortunately after this views were few and far between and by the time I got to Komotsurushi-yama the clouds had obscured it.
I'm very glad that I'm not afraid of heights as the ridge trail often only had enough room for my two feet and then dropped into valleys on either side. It was an unrelenting cycle of up and down, even between marked peaks there were multiple undulations.
I only saw one other group of 2 hikers on this section, I think they came up the Doshi roadside station access trail and were headed east.
I stopped at Komotsurushi hut for breakfast/lunch/a snack at 10:20. My meal times are all off kilter atm, between the heat and rest areas being few and far between, they keep happening at weird times and often I'll just snack all day instead of making oats or noodles for a proper meal.
Just before Komotsurushi hut there is a track down to Doshi roadside station, which will also take you to a water point if you need. I had filled up my bottles this morning at Azegamaru hut so didn't feel the need to take the 40min round trip.
I saw my first deer and 'bear' of the trip, as well as more frogs and mushrooms.
I made it to takazasu-yama by 3:30, were I took in the view and booked some accommodation for the night.
The trail down from takazasu-yama was very overgrown and not well marked, if I hadn't had my maps I don't think I would have made it into town.
I official entered yamanashi prefecture after leaving takazasu-yama, all of the ridge trail lies along the border of kanagawa and yamanashi. A new prefecture means new trail signs.
My accommodation is located close to lake yamanakako, and the views are stunning. I arrived here just after 5, having also stopped at the nearest convenience store, bring my walk time to ~10 hrs.
16.6km today and I've got some wicked heat rash to prove it.









Comments
Post a Comment