TNT Day 7 - fields of flowers

 12 Sept 

Map 4: (hotel) Hirano, yamanakako -> Hirano-san -> ohira-yama -> lake yamanakako flower park -> oshino hakkai // bus to Mt Fuji station (hostel)

Slightly cooler today, google says a high of 28, muggy with afternoon showers

After a lazy morning I set off at 9:30, first to the laundromat to put my clothes in a drier as they hadn't quite dried after the sink wash they received last night. By 10:30 I was back on the Tokai Nature Trail winding my way through the back streets of Hirano. The area is an interesting mix of fancy private homes, shut up holiday houses, abandoned houses, resorts, whose hey day was probably the 80s and 90s, and tennis courts - so many tennis courts. Most accommodation seems to be targeted towards sport or school groups.

Once I'd left the suburbs I was greeted with the sounds of birds, insects, the wind in the trees and American football. Evidently there was a game happening at the field, just 300m away through the trees, if the cheering and chanting was anything to go by.

Compared to yesterday, today was a walk in the park, there quite a few stairs but after hitting Hirano-san and Ohira-yama peaks I was spat out at the Lake Yamanakako flower park. Unfortunately Mt Fuji remained elusive.


From my viewpoint on ohiro-yama, I also spied a giant swan.

I stopped for quick bite of lunch at a soba cafe before talking a detour and walking through the flower plots. There were lots of tourists around taking their Instagram shots in the sea of flowers.

While I was chowing down on my soba the crack of thunder could be heard in the distance, maybe this explained why Mt Fuji had been shrouded all day. As I started walking towards Oshino it started lightly raining, but luckily it didn't last longer than 15 mins.

As I continued along the back streets of Oshino, Mt Fuji finally showed itself. I finished today at the Oshino Hakkai bus stop at 4:30.


I caught the bus back to Mt Fuji station, checked into my hostel and then went in search of some vegetables which I had been missing out on over the last couple of days.

Tomorrow is likely to be a low mileage day as I want to check out some of the museums, shrines and gardens in the area.

A nice easy 11.8km today.

Tiger keelback/Yamakagashi: 1

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Tokai Nature Trail Maps and Resources (Tōkai Shizen Hodō / 東海自然歩道)

TNT Day 53 - these final kilometers

A collection of collections