Tokai Nature Trail Day 1 - the first of many
6 Sept
Map 1: Takaosanguchi station -> Mt Takao -> Shiro-yama -> Arashi-yama (tent)
Warm; pleasant sweat in the shade, scorching in the afternoon sun
I talk to the manager of Takao Base Camp this morning (hello 👋 Motoko-san if you are reading this), she showed my some trail resources, we had a little photoshoot and then I was on my way.
I decided to take the cable car halfway up Mt Takao, as it was already very warm by 9am and didn't want to risk heat stroke on my first day. The monks at the temple where well into there morning ceremony, so I walked to the summit to the sound of chanting, drums and bells.
There were many people on the trails around Mt Takao and on the transverse to Shiro-yama, but I only saw two others heading down from Shiro-yama to Sagami. This trail down was also smooth slippery clay soil in some areas, which resulted in me falling over ?3 times. No injures, just embarrassment when it happened right in front of another hiker...
I made it across Benten bridge and to the Sagami family mart by 3 for a late lunch and then headed up Arashi-yama at 4 for the night.
In hindsight while only a 800m stretch to the top of Arashi-yama from the road, the trail is very steep, climbing ?200m, and probably not the best to have started late in the day and on a full stomach. I did eventually make it to the top, but my calves weren't to happy about the push.
Today's walk was sponsored by Stairs - They're "good" for the knees.











Comments
Post a Comment