TNT Day 31 - surprise shopping trip
21 oct
Map 20 & 21: (hotel) Ogaki / train to tanigumiguchi// bus to tanigumi-san -> myohogodake -> ikoi forest park (tent)
This morning as I was packing my bag and getting ready to catch the train back out to tanigumiguchi station I made a horrifying discovery.
For context I did a load of washing in the hotel machines last night. I was late to pick them up and someone had moved them to the basket. When I did pick them up I didn't check them until I was packing this morning. It would appear that someone has accidentally (or more likely on purpose) stolen certain items of my clothing, leaving me in dire need of a shopping trip.
After shopping (and forgetting that stores only open at 10/11am) I finally made my way to tanigumiguchi station arriving just before 1. I should mention at this point that the section of the Tokai nature trail from tanigumiguchi to ibi is rife with trail closures and no official detours are given for them. The first trail closure runs from tanigumiguchi to kegon-ji.
When I got to tanigumiguchi station there was a bus to kegon-ji, which I hopped on, cutting 3.5km of detour out of my day.
There were a number of people around visiting the shrine. Tanigumi-san kegon-ji as it is officially known is the 33rd temple of the Thirty -Three Kannon Temples of the Western Provinces and the oldest Kannon temple in Japan. Many people make their way here as the final stop on a pilgrimage to all 33 temples.
The street up to the temple complex is lined with shops selling temple goods, meals, amethyst gems, wood carvings, icecream and fresh produce. Each shop has a numbered stamp, with 33 to collect on your way up to the temple
Skirting around the back of the temple you start making your way up the mountain. The inner sanctuary lies about half way up myohogodake and the way is lined with shrines.
I only saw 1 person making the trek up to the inner shrine, he sped past me while I slogged along with my heavy bag (guess who bought too much food again...).
Leaving the shrine behind I started up to the peak of myohogodake. There was no view at the top, but I did get this view somewhere alone the long ridgeline. The long ridge line with seemingly never ending ups and downs - when you think its finally over you are presented with yet another set of upwards stairs.
There were some hand painted signs when I crossed the mountain road.
I walked the last hour down the mountain in the dark. This reinforced my dislike of walking into the dark, especially down mountains with multiple trails - luckily I only took one wrong turn and realised before I had gone too far down.
I made it to the picnic shelter in ikoi forest park at 6:30, set up camp and made myself some ramen with added curry, lentils and corn.
The observation deck is out of service but the picnic shelter was good for a 1person tent.
9.5km (started walking at 2pm), highest point: 652m, elevation: +846m -742m















Comments
Post a Comment